Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thumbdrive OS's - or, Taking your security OS with you


Ok, so lately I've been wanting to have a Operating System that I could boot from a USB thumb Drive.

I'm a geek right?

So Why WOULDN'T I want hang an entire operating system on a lanyard around my neck? The Nerd factor is OFF THE CHAIN! *Cue "I'm so hood remix"*


Yeah, UH!

(It works best to get your swagger on and read this next section with the music above bumpin)

I've got tha bling upon my neck! Chain swung low to hit tha deck! Yeah, my life is so hi-tech!

myDSL is the weapon of choice! Shut up man, don' wanna hear ya voice.

Free BSD? Oh Please for sheeze; that **** is just another freebie!

So what's the difference might you ask? Looks like I'm uh HaftaTakeYouToTask


I CAN TRANSPORT ALL MY FILES AND GET ROOT ACCESS ALL THE WHILES!

YEAH!


Ok, thats enough.

So I was thinking, if I could boot my operating system off of a thumbdrive, I could have complete admin privileges no matter who's computer I was on, and I could take all my preference's and files with me.

Plus, If I wanted to, I could use it to do computer maintenance when the host computer is Jacked up beyond belief.


Ok, so whats the deal? Sounds cool right? Basically, I have set up my usb thumb drive ( you can do an entire USB HD if you want) to run a virtual Operating System on top of the Native OS on a computer.
Now, the setup I used is only available for Windows, but I know there are other options for you Mac's and Linux people out there. In fact, the virtual OS that you'll be running is a VERY stripped down Linux 2.4 kernel.
In fact, it only comes to 50mb when all is said and done.

Interested? Go to www.DamnSmallLinux.com and start reading up. Basically you just need to download and unzip the Virtual DSL onto your thumbdrive and double click the appropriate .dll extension.
If you want your myDSL OS to remember all your settings, you're going to want to set up a virtual HD on your thumbdrive as well. DON'T freak out! It's fairly straight forward and all the utilities and instructions are included.

ALSO, if you're into Security, XeroBank is coming out with a similar product in the next couple weeks. They do have a beta out, but I was never able to get it to work.

What kind of set-ups do you guys have? Does anyone have a Thumbdrive OS that they can either boot off of and/or run in emulation? I think that would be great to have a persistant OS that could boot or run emulated.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will work without Admin Priveledges.