Monday, February 11, 2008

Egg and Apple - newbie art with science


Update at the bottom


Well, I am currently enrolled in a beginning art class. Why? I used to love drawing. I would draw constantly, especially in class, so I thought a class about drawing made sense!
Actually, I mostly want to be able to draw my own concept art and storyboards for my videos. So this is hopefully a venture that will pay off for me in the end. Just one more thing to add to my portfolio.

So, our out of class assignment was to draw some still life with one major light source coming from the right. The still art needed at least one piece of fruit, and two eggs... OK? Heh, well eggs arn't the most interesting thing (not to mention suprisingly hard to draw), so I decided to spice up my still life set-up.

I decided to use an old Dr. Science trick I learned when I was a kid. I would stand the eggs on end in a seeming impossible way. Can YOU stand a egg up on one end? I can. (plus one lying down)


Haha, I can just see my teachers face when he goes to grade my drawing. "This is not right, the proportions are all off! This egg looks like it's standing upright!"

Well it IS, I just poured a little salt underneath the egg and nestled it in the little salt pile. Now my scene reminds me a little of crop circles for signaling aliens.

Despite how simple this scene looks, given my minimal talent in drawing, it is actually pretty hard to draw and I am quite embarrassed at my skills. Nonetheless I shall show it to you. I SHALL get better!
Please... be kind.


UPDATE:

So I went to turn my art in, turns out we're getting Peer reviews this time. Ha! So remember, my idea was to create a drawing that befuddled the viewer and make them look at it longer. Turns out it worked! I mean there are obvious improvements to be made, but the people thought it was good! One guy said it Soothed him (He's OCD), and another girl said it made her uneasy to view the rigidity and the seemingly impossible composition. Woohoo! Now, I also got some tips on how to make the perspective work better, and how to draw the fabric better, but all in all I am pretty proud of it!

Tell me, what do YOU think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually like that drawing alot. You've got a ways to go with your skill level, but I like they way you planned it out and came up with that idea. And yes, it is kinda creepy. I like it.