Monday, December 3, 2007

First dot com .com ever (Symbolics.com) archived




With the recent news on Slashdot About the First 100 Registered Domain Names, I remembered a website that archived some of the oldest websites on the internet.
The first archive does not reach back to the original date of March 15th 1985 for Symbolics.com, (the first website name ever registered). I would assume that it has something to do with the formation of ICANN in 1998. But give that the World Wide Web was still four years off from the original registration date, I find that fascinating.
While the listed archive doesn't give any SUPER old archive shots, it does give what seems to be the oldest web archived page. This archive is dated Dec, 07, 1998 and can be found here

-Josh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Archive.org actually has some pages archived as far back as 1996 (and maybe earlier but that's the oldest I've seen on there). But AFAIK here is the oldest archived web site. That's from 1992 but there are some pages in there with modified dates of 1991. In the 80s, domain names were used for email, telnet, FTP, etc. since of course there was no web before '91.

Unknown said...

Huh, I'd totally forgotten about the internet being so young. I was watching a Discovery channel special about video games the other day, and my wife was like, " So video Games really arn't that old huh?" It's amazing to think that all of this has happened within my lifetime.