Friday, May 21, 2010

Ubuntu Netbook Edition - HUGE upgrade

For your netbook - download Ubuntu Netbook Edition

Step 1: Download Ubuntu CD image

Step 2: Create your UNE flash drive

After the ISO file has finished downloading you will have to create a bootable flash drive. Use the link below to find detailed instructions.

How to create a bootable flash drive »

Step 3: Install UNE on your netbook

When the flash drive is ready, simply put it in your USB slot, restart your computer and follow the instructions that will appear on your screen. Don't forget that you can make more copies and pass the flash drive to as many people as you like.

Thanks for downloading. Have fun using Ubuntu Netbook Edition!

Ok, I was tasked with upgrading a tired old Acer Aspire One netbook. The thing is going on 5 years I've been told. I came with Windows XP installed and has had multiple owners. It's a question whether it will boot up sometimes, and when it does, your lucky if you can surf the web with it... not very net-bookie.

SO! I plut in 1Gig of Ram hoping that would help it out (512 standard) and it made it boot reliably, but it was still very slow in the XP interface.
I asked my "client" if they minded linux. I explained that they wouldn't be able to just download "normal" programs and what not. "That's ok, I'd be happy if I was just able to check my e-mail with it and surf the web."

So I had heard recently about Ubuntu for Netbooks. I knew there was ubuntu light and what not, but I had a feeling this new "remix" would be a super easy to use version of it.

I grabbed a 2gb flash drive and made a boot disk and started it up on the net book. From the usb drive it took seconds to load and was snappy even though running through usb. I was floored. The interface was clean, sophisticated, and easy to use. Not only that but it's specifically designed for atom intel CPU's which this old Dinosaur of a netbook surprisingly sports.

So I chose to install it. It asked me what language I would like to speak (Russian?... no) And what sort of keyboard I wanted... 'MERICAN! Then asked me if I wanted to keep Windows on there as well as install Ubuntu... OVERWRITE!

The installer worked in the background for about 15-20 minutes while I tooled around in the intriguing new interface. I rebooted the device and on firstboot it took several seconds to load; second boot took mere seconds to load.

The performance gains over XP on a netbook were phenomenal and having an open source toolset like F-Spot, Open Office, and Firefox pre-installed is great.

Posted via web from Josh Brown

No comments: