Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Apple leaving Pro market High and Dry?

In response to: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/18/apple_scaling_final_cut_studio_... and http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2010/05/18/why-apple-insider-couldnt-be-more-wr...

I have no clout, no genuine place in the industry. I'm simply on that long ladder to the top... with no top in sight. However, I've seen a few moves from Apple that have concerned me as of late.Apple has a history of holding back features seemingly for the simple reason of profits. Some people will upgrade, others will hold out till the newest feature. Granted they are a business, but some of the stuff is stupid. iPod nano with a camera instead of the normal iPod? iPad being woefully under-designed. Their entire pro line of laptops have been stripped of "pro" features. I had to buy a 17 inch Mac Book Pro just to have accessibility to a professional i/o interface. (Don't tell me I could have just bought an older model. I had one, and this is about where Apple is going, not where they've been). Granted, that express card slot is not used all the time, but for a laptop that is being used in a professional environment, an express speed connection is practically a must.I'm going to put my foot in my mouth a little bit here though. Yes, I use my express card slot mostly to house my SD card adaptor (ironic eh?), but I know that I at least have the capabilities available to plug in a RED Rocket card for instance, or a proper ingest station. However, with all their "Pro" laptops under 17", you can't even record audio and have live playback at the same time without some jury rigging or working around their setup. One audio port, really? And no option of professional native speed connection. Why even call it pro? It's just a shinier, slightly more powerful version of their Mac Book... with an SD card slot?Anyhow. I'm done. All this to say, I wouldn't completely put it past Apple to screw a large portion of their user base. They've done it many times (albeit, in the name of progress), and are not afraid to innovate. I love that about Apple, but it's the very thing that frustrates me to no end.

Posted via email from Josh Brown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's sad what Apple has done to the Pro market. In 10 years, there will be no macs and what will be left are hand held devices and tv's.

The death of the mac is just around the corner....."hello" Apple Electronics!