Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Panasonic GH1 Sensor Test

To test the "cleanliness" of an ISO on the sensor, I capped the lens and shot a frame for each ISO setting available on the camera. The GH1 has ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, & 3200 available.

ISO 100 appears to be the cleanest by far (in contrast to my Nikon D40 results), with ISO 200 doubling the noise on the sensor taken with an all black image.

Note how the file sizes increase with the ISO. All the pictures are simply shot with the lens cap on.

 

A weird pattern emerges. The grain appears to Sweep across the frame from left to right. The only thing I can assume is that is how the sensor reads (left to right). So the left side of the sensor is exposed fractionally longer than the right. Also, in lower ISO's a solid line is clearly visible. I'm not sure if this is a defect in my sensor or present is most GH1's.

Posted via email from Josh Brown

No comments: