Monday, November 15, 2010

Macro time-lapse foulplay!

I'm am saddened yet strangely relieved to find that my second mycological macro time-lapse has been the victim of foul play.

My wife warned me she had seen someone romping around the general area will reckless abandon and sure enough, my mushrooms have been devastated. At least they got out of the ground before someone performed a Godzilla routine on them this time.

Just to recap, I found these mushrooms when they were just just wee little tykes just barely pushing up the soil.

I vowed to take a photo with my iPhone 4 everyday in hopes of capturing these elusive cultures growing. In the process I learned a lot about mushrooms, the cryptic study of their species (mycology) and a new found love for earthiness.

This photo captures the last days of my spore friend.

My plan at this point is to look past all the short coming of using an auto everything camera (iPhone 4) to do a multi-week time-lapse, and compile it into a video short showing the growth of this mushroom patch.

You'll notice there are little plastic figurines in the photos. Yep, those are Risk pieces. I found them on the ground. I knew I'd need some sort of tracking points for stabilizing later and it turns out they really don't stand out all as much as I had hoped. Time to put this in After Effects and see what I can do.

JABrown

Posted via email from Josh Brown

No comments: